The E7-20 Ethernet Service Access Platform (ESAP) represents a new generation of high capacity, high density Ethernet access solutions architected to simplify network transformation. Designed for IP over glass and an all-video world, the E7-20 seamlessly delivers existing fiber technologies (GPON, point-to-point GE / Active Ethernet), while offering the capacity headroom to deliver next generation fiber technologies. This approach results in superior operational efficiencies without sacrificing deployment flexibility or service functionality – allowing service providers to focus on revenue generating, game changing service delivery opportunities, including:
- In-home managed services
- Business services
- Opportunity expansion: fiber innovations
- Unlocking copper assets
- Broadband enabled switch collapse
The E7-20 leverages the Calix Ethernet eXtensible Architecture (EXA) to deliver Unified Access service to both residential and business customers, across GPON and point-to-point GE / Active Ethernet broadband technologies. This design allows the E7-20 to serve up to 480 dedicated point-to-point GE subscribers or over 10,000 GPON subscribers.
Key E7-20 ESAP chassis features:
- 2 terabit backplane with 100 Gbps connection to each line card slot
- Optimized for fiber-based greenfield data center and CO deployments
- Centralized switching controllers that deliver fully redundant, carrier grade performance
- Serves 480 point-to-point GE or over 10,000 GPON subscribers, with the capacity to serve over 20,000 subscribers through higher density line cards in the future
- Capacity to deliver Gigabit Ethernet services across fiber technologies and support emerging fiber technologies (10G PON, 10GE link aggregation, 100GE uplinks / transport)
Switch Control Processor (Aggregation and Transport)
With 200 Gbps of switching capacity, 20 Gbps uplink capacity, and four GE ports for aggregation per SCP card, deployable in a redundant configuration, there is plenty of capacity to serve an entire chassis filled with fiber.
GPON-8x / GPON-4x Line Cards (Business and Residential)
Leverage four or eight port GPON line cards to deliver gigabit broadband services to your subscribers with status reporting dynamic bandwidth allocation (DBA).
GE-24x Line Card (Residential point-to-point GE / Active Ethernet)
Deliver residential, point-to-point gigabit Ethernet service drops in 24-port increments with high-density CSFP optical modules.
Fiber Transformation – Ethernet Business Services
A key component of the E7-20 ESAP Ethernet business services solution set is support for the 700GX and 700GE ONTs. These ONTs auto-detect both GPON and point-to-point GE technologies, maximizing deployment flexibility. The 700 ONT family consists of a wide variety of models designed to fit any business application including 1-8 GE ports, 2-8 T1/E1 ports, 2-8 POTS, and 1-8 RF video ports. The business services ONTs are available in either wall- or rack-mounted models and can be powered by either -48 V or 24 V (required for mobile backhaul applications) and are designed to enable carrier-class MEF Ethernet services and drive revenue growth.